Friday, February 21, 2014

23 Mobile Things: Thing 11

I must admit, I am not the best ELM user.  I have taken the training class a few times, but since no one ever asks for help with ELM, I rarely get a chance to practice.

That being said, I think the interface is great and I will be recommending it more and more as we slowly move away from having as many print periodicals as we currently have.  Not only is the site easy to search, but it provide information that might be difficult to find if you were just searching paper copies.  I really like that there are newspaper archives, especially the Argus Leader, which is technically more local for us than the Star Tribune would be.

In addition to ELM, Plum Creek has access to Overdrive for our Ebooks and I am familiar enough with that site to assist patrons in getting the books they are looking for.  It's a good site, though I think it could be a little more user friendly and clear - the instructions can get a bit pedantic.

We are going to have Zinio within the year and I am looking forward to playing with it - being able to have patrons check out magazines to their home computers will be a blessing for many of them, especially since they don't really have to return them and will be able to peruse back issues at home or from a mobile device.  How cool is that??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment