Friday, January 17, 2014

Cottage Industries: Mundane Endeavors 3

Fox hat - What DOES the fox say?
I have decided to start a cottage industry in my house that consists of crocheted hats, jams, and whatever else I can think of.  I have named myself Happy Halls and plan to go to a craft fair in November.  Crazy?  Maybe, but I'm really enjoying myself while I do it.  The hat above is for my second cousin who is undergoing chemo and needs something to cover her head.   I'm also making her a bear and a narwhal.  The unicorn hat at the bottom was sent to her at Thanksgiving when we found out she was really sick, the other three are because she needs to be able to change the animals around.

Zebra hat, complete with stripey mane
Doing hats for her has not only made me feel good about using my hands, it has taught me a lot about crocheting.  I have learned new stitched, courtesy of friends and the internet.  I have also learned that I'm pretty good at figuring things out in my head and making them with yarn.  The narwhal will be the ultimate test, of course, and that will come this week after the bear is finished.

Jellyfish hat - need to make longer tentacles

This jellyfish I made for a friend who is also undergoing chemo (too many people with cancer lately) and she really liked it.  I would like to figure out how to make the tentacles longer and how to have them hang down from the front.  I think a multi colored jelly would be pretty awesome.  I'll have to work on that.

Unicorn hat - would look awesome as a rainbow
The unicorn.  Dagny was upset that I was giving it to someone else, but she understood the reason behind it.  When I asked her if she wanted me to make her one, too, she asked for a bunny instead, which means new stitches!

Since there's a lot of shows on TV, we sit on the couch most nights.  I love to watch TV and I love to crochet, but if I do them at the same time, I tend to miss things that are on TV.  Must find a happy medium! :)  Perhaps one night a week with no TV? Interesting thought.  We had one a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, just sitting around listening to the radio.  Perhaps we'll have to make that a weekly event.

We've also started family game nights and are currently learning Settlers of Catan, which is really quite a fun game.  The kids seem to get it better than I thought they would, so maybe we'll have a night where we will each be our own team.  Wouldn't THAT be fun?  I haven't played on my own team for eight years.

No comments:

Post a Comment