Friday, August 16, 2013

The Desire for Ink and Football: Mundane Endeavors 1

I got a new tattoo today to celebrate Africa.  Perhaps I should say that it was two, since it was a matching pair on my calves.


My legs deserve the attention for all the work they did, but I must say that it hurt more than any of my others and I am probably done with tattoos for awhile.  Twiga hurt more than Tembo (can you see the letters inside the design?  Swahili, baby!) and she bled more.  I went to Sam's afterwards not realizing that blood had run down my leg and pooled on the top of my sandal.  No wonder people were looking at me funny.

Anyway, the tattoo is beautiful and I love it very much, even if it IS bigger than I thought it would be.  I think they're perfect.  Done by the same guy who did my arms, which are also beautiful.  If I make the decision to do more ink, I will definitely go and see him.  If you need recommendations in the Sioux Falls area, I can give you one!

AND...football has started.  Pre-season, but still football.  Tonight the Vikings are playing the Bills which is a hard game for me.  My dad is a Vikings fan, my husband is a Bills fan.  Crazy.  Can I cheer for both?  No, but I can secretly not care who wins, I suppose.  I will support the Bills because, well, I like them, but my dad will be happy if the Vikings win, so I really can't lose this game!

My dad has his second round of chemotherapy today - I know, he's had it before, but this is a new drug.  This drug specifically targets anaplastic large-cell non-Hodgkins lymphoma on its return.  That's right, its return.  Dad was diagnosed with a second run of cancer about two months ago and they decided to do chemo and radiation one more time.  I don't think he'll do it three times, I think this is the last shot.  And not sure how long it will last - this new drug does a number on him.

We were going to go fishing over Labor Day, but we decided to cancel.  Instead, we'll go to Cedar Rapids and stay at the Marriott and just visit, which will be easier on everyone.  I don't want the kids to have fishing memories where Dad wasn't at his best and I don't want Dad to think that he has to be happy and participate when he feels miserable.  I think it's better all around if we simply have an awesome family weekend and celebrate their 50th anniversary together.  Fishing would have been nice, but it's not necessary for us to have a good time.

This weekend coming will be nice - there's really nothing to do.  Marc has mowed the lawn already, so there will be garden work and maybe some tomato freezing, but no crazy errands need to be run and we can stay around the house.  Maybe we'll go for a family bike ride - I think that would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment